Tasmania becomes the first state to tighten its borders with NSW after four new Covid cases as Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk warns against travelling to Sydney
- Tasmania block borders to anyone travelling from NSW hotspots after outbreak
- Director of Public Health announced decision Wednesday after new cases
- Anyone who visited listed sites after June 11 must get tested and isolate
- Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk warns state could also close border
- WA have told anyone at high-risk sites to isolate for 14 days from exposure
Tasmania has slammed shut its borders to anyone who has been to New South Wales Covid exposure site while Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk warns her state to avoid travelling to Sydney after new coronavirus cases were detected.
The state recorded another Covid-19 case overnight as a man in his 40s – not linked to the other cases in the latest outbreak – tested positive to the virus, taking its total to four.
His infection is still under investigation though as NSW Health is determining whether the test returned a false positive result.
The island state announced Wednesday morning it would block all New South Wales travellers who had visited a listed site since June 11.
‘Anyone who is planning on travelling to Tasmania who has been to any of these high-risk premises at the specified dates and times will not be permitted to enter the state,’ Tasmania’s Director of Public Health Mark Veitch announced.
A hotel quarantine driver tested positive for the highly-contagious delta variant of coronavirus at the Bondi Beach testing facility on Wednesday
The state recorded another Covid-19 case overnight as a man in his 40s not linked to the other cases in the latest outbreak tested positive to the virus – taking its total to four
Palaszczuk also said her state would closely monitor the ongoing situation, with closed borders likely given previous decisions to quickly block residents from New South Wales entering.
‘In line with other jurisdictions, we will maintain restrictions on travel from Greater Melbourne for another seven days, and we strongly advise those planning travel to Greater Sydney to reconsider,’ the Queensland Premier tweeted on Thursday morning.
Queensland’s Chief Health Officer added anyone who had been to an exposure site would ‘automatically’ enter a quarantine facility.
‘It’s important that anyone who has been to these venues in Sydney follow the advice of NSW Health and not travel,’ Dr Jeanette Young said.
‘If you have been to any of these sites and are already in Queensland, you must immediately travel by private transport directly to your home or accommodation and quarantine.’
Western Australia’s CHO Andrew Robertson has announced mandatory quarantine for 14 days for anyone attending a high-risk location from the date of exposure.
‘Any risk to WA remains very low but, again, the situation highlights the importance of remaining vigilant to prevent any spread of the virus or community transmission in this state,’ Dr Roberston said.
Four people have tested positive for coronavirus in Sydney, with the last person registering a ‘very low’ viral load and could potentially be a false positive
A man tested positive in the Baulkham Hills area of north-west Sydney on Thursday morning, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.
Ms Berejiklian said his viral load was ‘very low’.
A woman in her 70s has also tested positive in Vaucluse, taking Sydney’s latest outbreak to four cases.
She visited the Belle Cafe in Vaucluse at the same time as an airport worker in his 60s who health officials have now confirmed contracted the highly-contagious Delta variant of the virus.
He and his wife tested positive to Covid-19 on Wednesday.
The post Covid Australia: Tasmania is first state to tighten borders to New South Wales appeared first on 247 News Around The World.